Lauren's bookshelf: currently-reading

Down Among the Dead Men
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Saturday 7 January 2012

Back to Work and Dukan Day 1

So after three weeks off, I put my uniform back on and drove into work feeling both a little nervous and anxious. As  I pulled up at the station, so did another student paramedic that I have worked with before, and we discovered we were rostered together. Thank God! Somebody nice to work with to ease me back in. And well, what can I say after the first job, it was like I hadn't been away at all. Well what I mean is, that getting back in the saddle so to speak wasn't as nerve wrecking as I thought. We had a difficult and upsetting job which is never the best start to a run of night shifts, but other members of staff were very supportive.

So night shift number 1 also co-incided with Dukan Day 1. Jeeze I have never had to wee so much! I stuck rigidly to the regime, ate only proteins and drank huge amounts of fluids. Every time we had a patient that didn't want to go to hospital, I panicked about not being near a hospital. My stomach did rumble at one-point and I hadn't taken quite enough food to work with me to see me through the 12-hour shift so I replaced my hunger with cups of black tea (no skimmed milk available) and also took my kindle to work and to try and distract me from thinking about food, I just read. So on the scales after day 1, I am 1 pound down. Let's hope it picks up a little, or if nothing else at least stays steady at a pound a day.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment